Saturday, October 13, 2012

Extending the life of a dress (AKA I am cheap)


Three years ago (yes THREE!) I embellished this set for my kids -- an A-line for Annaliese and a Jon-Jon for Dashiell. I added the ruffle to the RTW dress to make it a touch longer, and that enabled her to wear it the following year. And probably last year with some tights underneath.
Well it was still hanging in her closet, and even at the age of 8 Annaliese just is not ready to part with it! It's basically a swing top now, so I suggested we crop off some of her jeans that she's outgrown (such long legs!) and add a ruffle.
Except... I only had a small rectangle of that fabric left! But this morning before leaving for a local pumpkin festival, I chopped off some old jeans just above a hole in the knee and added a fabric band. It worked surprisingly well!
I didn't get any good posed pictures amongst the pumpkins, just an in action shot as we walked back to the car.
Woo-hoo! Her fourth year wearing this dress. 2012 outfit didn't cost a dime and I don't have to make a pumpkin shirt this year. :)

1 comments on "Extending the life of a dress (AKA I am cheap)"

jazzo on October 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM said...

Janay, Love the upcycle. Win/win. Annaliese looks adorable again! And you really didn't have to spend a dime! Awesome!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates