Thursday, October 31, 2013

Owl LOVE X 2


Long-time blog followers know that we love owls since it's our elementary school's mascot. :)
Last weekend my daughter's BFF at school had a birthday party, so obviously I was already considering a turquoise shirt with an owl design as our gift. What I didn't factor in was that by deciding to use a new-to-me design, I'd have to make one for my daughter, too, so they could match. Ahhhhh... girls. ;)
Today was Twin Day at school, so the timing was quite perfect!
The Owl LOVE design is from the Itch 2 Stitch. This colorful fabric was the inspiration for the color palette:
We selected 3 coordinating Ta Dots and used the print for the owl. My big hang up was thread colors. I didn't have a perfect dark purple, dark pink or .... whatever that green color is. I did have a good match for the lighter purple dot and lighter pink dot, but not for the green dots in the fabric, every thread I had was too bright. So I decided to shake things up a bit (this is very unlike me) and outline the letters with contrasting colors. WHOA! This is bright!
Can I be honest, I didn't exactly LOVE it. But Annaliese did and still begged me to make a second. I really did not want it to be identical, so we rearranged the fabrics and threads for the second version. Equally as bright!
I will confess though that I'm totally impressed with my fussy cutting fabric placement on the owls!! WOO HOO HOO! 

2 comments on "Owl LOVE X 2"

Gayle on October 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM said...

Beautiful work, love the owl.

Tiffany on May 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM said...

You may not not love it but I think the contrasting thread outlines are utterly gorgeous in this design! This design blew me away!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates