Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Case of "The Tank Tops are Too LONG"


Yesterday I made two bandana dresses. One is a Fourth of July dress for Ella, 2.5 yrs old. I took a 2T tank top and used red and blue bandanas to make the dress. Quick simple project, right?

Well, what I didn't pay attention to is how LONG the tank top was. When poor Ella put it on, the waistline was a good 2-3 inches too low. That's significant on a little girl! So this evening I cut the skirt off, trimmed off about 2" off the shirt, and sewed it back on. To cover all my stitching, I added navy ribbon (which has red accents you can't see in the picture). It turned out beautifully and now fits Ella perfectly! She wasn't too thrilled with the idea of getting her picture taken at that moment, but cooperated!



Now I'll have to tackle the second one I made yesterday... It was for Keeley's 2nd birthday party. I used a 24 month tank top for her, pink and purple bandanas, and embroidered her initial on the tank.

Thought it looked precious, until her mommy held it up to her -- I think it might touch the floor if she were to wear it as is!! Since Ella's modification worked, I need to get this dress back to fix...

3 comments on "A Case of "The Tank Tops are Too LONG""

Coleen on March 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM said...

Great dress!! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you wouldnt mind sharing exactly how you did it?? Did you cut a hole into the bandana first or just attach it to the tank? I'm new to sewing but would like to try this. Thanks in advance for the help!

Janay on March 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM said...

Hi Coleen!
Essentially you cut a hole in two bandanas the same size as the bottom of a t-shirt and then stitch them together. I bought the pattern from here: http://www.sewingboutiqueforkids.com/sue/index.php
It truly is EZ, she tells you how to fold the bandanas and how much to cut depending on the size of the shirt -- does all the math for you!
Hope that helps! I need to make a new one for my daughter really soon for Cowboy week at preschool -- her old ones are too small!

Coleen on March 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM said...

Thanks so much for the info!! I'll try my best! Good Luck with the cowboys!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates