Saturday, June 9, 2007

Happy 35th Anniversary!



Click to enlarge


June 10th will be my in-laws' 35th wedding anniversary. To honor them, I chose to make a quilted wall hanging similar to what I did for my parents last year (see below). Harold and Kathy's watercolor quilt is also made of 35 squares, but the color arrangement and border is different. Each column has a focus color (pink, purple, blue, green, yellow) and transitions from light to dark. I pieced the border using a dark fabric around the the light section and vice versa, to make this transition more defined. I love how the fabrics that fall on the diagonal work so well (rose/purple flower square, green ivy dark/light spots, dark green leaf on yellow flower square, etc).
To quilt the wall hanging, I used free motion meandering in the center, using a light varigated thread on the top portion and a dark varigated thread on the bottom. In the borders I quilted "35" continually with the coordinating thread (again, click to enlarge):


~~~~~~
Updated to add a picture of the original wall hanging for my parents since my online quilt gallery has disappeared into oblivion. :) I chose 35 small squares, trying to coordinate with the swag window treatments in their living room. I blended the navy, sage, mauve and gold in a colorwash effect. I used a lovely batik for the border and binding. The 2" squares I used for these projects were leftovers from a huge watercolor quilt I made in 2003.


1 comments on "Happy 35th Anniversary!"

Tiffany on October 6, 2007 at 1:34 AM said...

Just poking around, looking at some of your old stuff. This design is absoutely STUNNING! The color gradation is just breath-taking!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates