Sunday, July 24, 2011

Monogramming for Dorm Life


Jordan will be heading off to college in a few weeks, so she has all new towels and sheets that need to be monogrammed! I had never monogrammed sheets and I really haven't done very many towels, so I relied heavily on this Embroidery Placement Guide. It was very helpful and I'm pleased with all the results. Towel set 1:
And towel set 2:
Maroon sheets with gold monogram -- school colors!!
These are bath mats. So excited that Jordan picked this neon green thread -- I've owned it for over four years and just now unwrapped it!

One of the most exciting things about this project is that I found a J I actually like!!! J is such a weird letter. (So is T for that matter, my initials are really annoying). In most beautiful script fonts, you can't tell the difference between the I and J (and often the T looks like a J, sigh...). And in fonts where J is recognizable, it looks incredibly boring. So imagine the delight I experienced finding a beautiful J... right under my nose!! This J is from Embird Alphabet #38, which I use a lot. Isn't it lovely? I used a fill stitch in four different sizes for the various items.

4 comments on "Monogramming for Dorm Life"

Anonymous said...

Great job, Janay! I love the "J", too. Where on sheets do you monogram? Just somewhere along the top edge, or in the corner?

Lynnell

Janay on July 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM said...

I embroidered on the right side of the sheet with the top of the monogram toward the center of the sheet centered inside the wide hem.
When you make the bed, the top sheet goes face down. Then fold top edge of sheet back over the blanket, revealing the monogram, which is now right-side up.

The other placement suggestion is: "The bottom of the monogram should be 2 inches above the wide hem, and centered from left to right."

Always learning something new... I have never made my bed this way! :)

Janice on July 26, 2011 at 7:29 AM said...

I love the J font as well! Yeah! School colors appear to be FSU!

Jennifer Brooks on March 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM said...

How did you stabilize the sheet? I am doing my first set and I am super nervous!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates