Thursday, February 7, 2013

Happy Easter Stay-Put Towel


I had the opportunity to test this sweet "Happy Easter" applique design for Lynnie Pinnie. I wanted to put the 4x4 size on a kitchen towel, and decided to use this as an opportunity to experiment again!
I love how it turned out! I looked through my stash and couldn't find a fabric that would make a nice base for the design, and thought... do I even need add a fabric square to the towel before making it a Stay-Put towel? Could I just do the V shaped hole with the design directly on the towel? Why yes I can!
The best part is this adorable design hangs up high, not way down at the bottom, so it's more visible. AND it's not the part of the towel we will use to dry our hands, so the design will always look this lovely. :)

(My Stay Put towel is inspired by the Topsy Towel tutorial posted on Embroidery Library. There is a free V-shaped buttonhole design posted on Sew Forum that goes with this tutorial.)

15 comments on "Happy Easter Stay-Put Towel"

kingk1002 on February 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM said...

Love it Janay! You always come up with the cutest ideas!

CherieZ on February 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM said...

Love it... where did you fuind the towel??? been looking for waffle toWEL FOR A HILE NOW

sfranchu on February 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM said...

I love this! My 2 year old constantly pulls my towels down! This is the solution I needed. Does anyone know where I can get a v shaped buttonhole that will fit a 4x4 hoop? The one in the link is 4.44" :(
Thanks for posting!

sfranchu on February 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM said...

I have these same towels, I got them at Walmart.

Janay on February 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM said...

Thanks ladies!
CherieZ -- these towels are the Mainstays 2-pack that Walmart sells. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-2-Pack-Towel-Set-Arctic-White/21081299
sfranchu -- do you have software? If you rotate the V 45 degrees, it will fit in a 4x4 hoop, each side is only 80mm long.

sfranchu on February 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM said...

I guess I don't know how to do that. I can rotate on my machine, but I can't even get it transferred to my machine as it is. I will try messing around with my software & see if I can figure it out.

sfranchu on February 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM said...

Nope, I guess my program & machine are just too basic to do anything like rotating the design. I am out of luck.

Janay on February 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM said...

sfranchu -- I use Embird, which is a fantastic piece of embroidery software! You can download the program from Embird.com and try it for free for 30 days. Just warning you, you might fall in love and have to buy it. :)
I have never used it, but Wilcom Truesizer is a free program that allows you to rotate designs. You may want to give that a shot.

sfranchu on February 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM said...

I will give those a shot! Thank you! I tried Ambassador & had no luck.

Pam on March 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM said...

Love this Janay - I do have a question - do you square up your towels?

Janay on March 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM said...

Pam, I do not square up the towel. I was afraid that would make it so small that it wouldn't be very functional.
FYI, when you leave it as a rectangle, it doesn't not hang straight since it isn't symmetrical. That doesn't bother me, but just beware, especially if you put a design on the bottom corner that hangs low. :)

Mrsbmoney on November 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM said...

I was wondering if this design was still available? I can't find a link and I couldn't find it on sewforum.

Janay on November 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM said...

Mrsbmoney, it is still available on SewForum:
http://www.sewforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=127666&sid=d19831a40a3c70a93293089884f455bc

DebinSC on February 8, 2015 at 10:59 PM said...

Love this thank you for sharing!

bkm on September 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM said...

Would you say the bottom of the "V" is about 4" from the corner point?

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates