Thursday, January 8, 2009

Welcome to Dashiell's Room!


It took Carlin and me a while to figure out what kind of theme we wanted to do in Dashiell's room. In October a cute set of monkey designs was released at OregonPatchWorks, so we found a cute bedding set in blues and browns and decided to decorate with monkeys. I bought the designs early on, but didn't get around to stitching them until after Dashiell was born. I haven't stitched all the designs in the set, just the letters of his name, in order to create this set of mini wall hangings:


None of the fabrics used are actually in his bedding set, but I used fabrics from both the quilt I am making and the quilt my mom made Dashiell. I think that makes this decoration tie everything together nicely. Here are close-ups of each letter.








To construct the wall hangings, I created an in-hoop design. First I stitched the monkey design, then I tacked down the ribbon at the top, laid down the backing fabric face down with a layer of batting, and stitched an almost complete rectangle. After removing it from the hoop and trimming the edges to 1/4 inch, all I had to do was invert the mini wallhanging and top stitch around the edges. I had to work out some kinks on the first two, then the rest went together very smoothly!

5 comments on "Welcome to Dashiell's Room!"

The Mosier Family on January 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM said...

Great Job!! Sooo cute! I can't wait to see the entire room in person.

LT on January 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM said...

WOW, it looks wonderful!! I don't know how you manage to get it all done, Janay. Great job!

Janay on January 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM said...

Linda, I did most of it while Mom and Dad were here, so there were extra arms ready and willing to snuggle while I stitched. :)

You should see the quilt Mom made Dashiell -- it's amazing! I'll post pics on our family blog soon.

Cori on January 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM said...

Those are cute! And those monkeys are precious.

Tiffany on January 14, 2009 at 8:51 AM said...

Those are so fabulous, I can hardly speak. LOVE THEM! Is there a way to see the entire set of letter designs? Oh....yeah. Probably on the link you included.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates