Monday, November 8, 2010

Thanksgiving Card, take two


Wow, this one turned out SO MUCH BETTER than the previous two Thanksgiving cards!
 I found the fabric I intended to use, and I changed my technique for stitching it to the card. I wish I could go back in time and start over on those first two...oh well! I used the Thanksgiving Pilgrim Hat Basket design from 8 Claws and a Paw.

I also stitched a couple of 8CP's new bluework designs and made cards out of those:

I took pictures along the way to explain my construction process. The blank cards I'm using are 5.5"x4", so I created a basting stitch that was 5"x3.5".  I centered my design inside that rectangle (making sure it was no bigger than 4.5"x3").  I hooped tearaway stabilizer, attached the fabric (a nice weight woven material) with spray adhesive and stitched it out.  I actually did two at one time in my bigger hoop.
Before removing stabilizer or basting stitches, I glued the design to the card, only putting glue in the center, not the edges. Then I took back to my machine and stitched the fabric directly to the card sewing a quarter-inch inside the basting line.
To finish it off I trimmed the material cutting along the basting stitch.  I removed the quarter-inch worth of tearaway stabilizer sticking out and frayed the edges by tugging on the loose threads.

Now I need to go shopping for more blank cards! :)

0 comments on "Thanksgiving Card, take two"

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates