Saturday, August 27, 2011

A work in progress...


Last week I had the opportunity to test some of Lynnie Pinnie's new designs. While her new football set is A-DOR-A-BLE, I knew several of the other testers would jump all over those. :) I instead decided to test some of the Little Faces:
 I had so much fun picking fabrics for hair and skin. I tried to create as diverse a set of faces as possible! I used 5 different skin fabrics, five different hair fabrics, and six different threads for eye color. I also decided to stitch them on my new gingham fabric (purchased from a pre-order from Whimsical Fabrics). Right now these are 9x9" squares... I hope to turn them into a quilted wall hanging... soonish.
The faces come in four sizes. I chose the 4x4 boys and the small 5x7 girls. Their faces are proportional to each other, but since the girls have ponytails, their overall size is bigger.
Boy 1:
Boy 2 with glasses:

Boy 3:
Girl 1 (I love using wood grain fabric for hair!):
Girl 2 with glasses:
Girl 3 (I love this brown swirl fabric, too!):
I'll keep you posted on my progress when it comes to combining them into a wall hanging. I'd love to include the lyrics, "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world." BUT that is a lot of text to embroider! Not sure... Any suggestions?!?

4 comments on "A work in progress..."

jonrock53@mtaonline.net on August 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM said...

I LOVE this idea. That is one of my favorite childhood songs. I think you might embroider one or two words at a time and put them around the border....I see them in the color thread of the word..red for red, yellow for yellow.. I love how you share your sources and your process. I have a machine, but don't use it nearly as much as you. I really enjoy reading your posts..

Janay on August 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM said...

Thanks Kathy!
I spent some time last night calculating and playing with word placement. Now I just have to decide if I want to embroider it or attempt to do free-motion quilting instead.

Tiffany on April 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany on April 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM said...

I started singing that song as soon as I saw this design so I had to laugh when you mentioned it at the end. I love what you did with the hair. That is awesome!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates