Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My springtime kitchen towel


Applique Forum initiated a monthly challenge in March, which I participated in. We were each given Hang To Dry's Vintage Luxe Bunny in Scallop design and asked to think outside the box and stretch ourselves -- use a fun type of fabric or embellishment, manipulate the design somehow... the possibilities were wide open, how fun!

At the same time that this challenge began, I was in the midst of three big custom orders (which I still haven't been able to share yet...but soon!) so my creative juices were TAPPED DRY. I finally decided that I would put the bunny on a shirt for Annaliese and let her pick all of the fabrics and threads, that would be completely out of my comfort zone, HA! But alas, even though it's a lovely design, it wasn't a style she was interested in and she declined my offer. The clock was ticking... She did end up helping me out by giving me a suggestion -- she reminded me that I didn't have any Easter towels for my kitchen, so my "outside of the box" angle was a non-springtime color theme!
The fabric for the scallop is a scrap from when I made my kitchen/dining room valences. All of the off-white tone-on-tone prints were scraps from a quilt I made years ago. The thread colors I picked really show off the variety of deco stitches used in the vintage luxe designs. I also took this as an opportunity to finally use the Hand Lettered Floss Stitch font I purchased from Jolson's a while back. Oh, it looked so perfect in Embird, but the word "Spring" gets lost on the busy fabric, can you even see it?! :)
The neatest part in participating in a challenge is seeing what other people do with the exact same design. About 70 people participated and no two were alike!
And in case you are wondering, I did not win in my category. I was up against a phenomenal entry, with an amazing runner up (totally not fair) so I was lucking to get my three measly votes. But April is a new month! :)

1 comments on "My springtime kitchen towel"

Anonymous said...

It’s true that formica countertops are cheaper than the others. Their price basically depends on the edge style, pattern, backsplash and installation cost. The latest innovation on this material is replicating the appear of a lot of natural stones which include granite and marble.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates