Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Window Valances... ten months later


I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but I'm so excited that I'll just push the embarrassment aside. :)
We moved into our house 3.5 years ago. Within the first year we (I mean, my husband) painted the kitchen and dining room. We selected a lovely deep blue for two of the four walls. I love it! However, apparently it isn't a very popular color because I have had the hardest time finding kitchen decor to match. Until today, we have had NO window treatments in the kitchen!
Back in February I purchased some lovely fabric online that I had discovered through Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva, who had posted a kitchen valance that looked perfect for my kitchen as well. I even posted pictures of my fabric on my Facebook page to see if anyone had suggestions for something other than simple valances. And then the fabric just hung there on a tension rod... for months. Until my husband said, "Um, is that fabric going to fade before you even do anything with it??" So I took it down, and set it aside.
I was determined to finally make some valances before the end of the year, and today was the day!! Here's the kitchen valance (hung on a tension rod between the cabinets):
And the dining room valance, which is on the opposite wall:
The dining room window already had the sheer curtain there; I simply attached it to the blue valance so I didn't have to get another curtain rod. :)
I really hate folding under fabric and making seams, so I lined both of these valances with solid fabrics. The ruffle above the rod pocket is about 2", and it hangs about 12" below the rod pocket. The width of the valance is 1.5 x the width of the window.
It feels really nice to have that project done. Now let's see if I can make a purse out of the fabric I bought for myself... FOUR years ago. Sheesh.

0 comments on "Window Valances... ten months later"

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates