Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rapunzel... let down your hair!


I have a confession, but please don't tell Belle or Ariel. Tangled is my new favorite Disney Princess movie. I just love it!! I've been singing, "When Will My Life Begin?" for a week now thanks to this project:
Isn't this design adorable?!? It's part of a set of cutie princesses that Lynnie Pinnie just released. I knew right away I had to stitch Rapunzel on a shirt for Annaliese. She swooned when she saw the design. Then she told me that since Rapunzel's hair was 70 feet long, she wanted the hair on her shirt to be 7". Well, that meant I needed to do the 6x10 design. :) It's a big design, but worked well on this longer-than-normal shirt I had in my stash.
I really wanted to use the fairy frost fabric for Rapunzel's hair so it would "gleam and glow", but I only have 5" squares. I decided I was ok with a small seam in the middle instead of settling for just a boring yellow fabric. It's not too noticeable, right?
I had so much drama stitching this out -- NOT related to the design though! I had a major thread nest while tacking down the last piece of fabric and had to really wiggle my hoop to get the threads loose from the bobbin. My stabilizer loosened and I was terrified that I would have to scrap the whole project. But thankfully I was able to tug it back in place and everything lined up fine (so thankfully for LP's wide satin stitches which cover a multitude of user errors!). Then I had issues with the brown thread. I chose color over quality (none of my Marathon browns matched the fabric quite right) and quickly learned that my Brother machine does NOT like my Janome thread. It broke at least 6 times! I thought I would never get that section done! Then to top it all off, the power went out in the middle of the design!! AAAHHHH!!!! We lose power often, but that's the first time it has happened while sewing. So I had to go to bed in the dark and wait until later the next afternoon to finish. BUT it got done, we LOVE it, it was so worth the effort. :)

3 comments on "Rapunzel... let down your hair!"

Mary on December 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM said...

It looks fabulous and I don't think the seam is bad at all. I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out!

My ULT is VERY particular about thread. I can only use Madeira with it or I can expect a disaster and lots of thread breaks!

The Snodgrass Family on December 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM said...

We were watching this with the girls last night, and they went to bed about halfway through, but Will and I had to finish the movie! LOVED it.

Sew Bee It Clothier on December 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM said...

Oh My!!!!!! This is gorgeous! I have a very sweet 2 1/2 year old in my life that is smitten with Rapunzel!
It is comforting to hear of your embroidery woes. Sometimes I think I am alone when things go awry! I really appreciate you telling about these things!
I love following you and keep up the FABULOUS work!
Alison

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates