Monday, December 19, 2011

My Boy Wonder!


It is time for TWO-PERMAN to retire... now introducing my Boy Wonder!!
I had the hardest time coming up with a birthday shirt idea for my son. I asked my husband for ideas. We loved what we came up with last year to celebrate Dashiell's 2nd birthday Superman style. And even though he still really loves Superman, I didn't want to create a "3" design using the same idea, that's boring. :) Unbeknownst to me, my husband was drawing while we chatted. He showed me his iPhone artwork and I was immediately sold!
 Carlin and Dashiell pretend to be Batman and Robin all the time, so this was PERFECT.

I picked up three shirts at Hobby Lobby: a red for the shirt, a green for the sleeves and a yellow for the cape. I removed the sleeves of the red shirt and replaced them with the sleeves of the green shirt. Easier said than done when you have zero experience sewing with knit material, but it turned out well. :)
 For the embroidery design I did three simple lines of satin stitches, an applique circle, and used the "3" from 8CP's Sk8 font.
Robin's cape (at least in the rendition that Carlin wanted me to emulate) has a collar. Again, I don't really do garment construction, so I decided to just use a tee shirt and make a cape out of it. I removed the sleeves, cut up the side seams, and cut off the front of the shirt just below the collar. I attempted a rolled hem on the sides (which looks terrible) and a more traditional hem around the neck (also terrible). Oh well, it gets the job done. Dashiell can take it off and put it on by himself, which is a HUGE bonus. And I don't have to worry about him getting strings knotted or choking. He certainly didn't complain about my sloppy workmanship, so I'm calling it a WIN!

I did all of this with a sinus infection, so his costume is still a bit incomplete. He noticed right away that he didn't have a mask, so we hunted down this little Incredibles mask. I still need some green pants and green gloves... We'll see what I can find. :)
Here's my Dynamic Duo, Dashiell and Carlin Trammel, love them to pieces!!

2 comments on "My Boy Wonder!"

smilingwoman on December 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM said...

How precious your superheros are!

Sabrina on December 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM said...

So creative. Love the photo of father and son:)

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates