Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Look what I got from DigiStitches!


While at Applique Getaway, I had the honor of meeting Jennilee of DigiStitches, and she gave me a special gift!
(oh, and my apologies to Jennilee, I'm confident these were originally packaged with pretty tissue paper and her business card... I restaged this pic a month later :) )
In the bag I found a Monag toddler ruffle tee and baby one-piece.
But look carefully, there is something extra special about these! One of the side seams had intentionally been left unsewn! Jennilee chose me, Me, ME! to test these for her!! Once out of the testing phase these will go into production! EEK!
Check out how much flat work space this provides!
SO EXCITING!
There have been times that I have ripped out side seams in order to ease the process of putting a large design on a small item, but this saves that step!
I first put the toddler ruffle tee to the test. I hooped it the same way I always do (my preferred method is fuse polymesh to inside of shirt, hoop a second piece of stabilizer and use spray adhesive/pins to attach the shirt; you do what works for you). However this was much faster because the open space made it easy to see that my marking lines matched up with the hoop axes. Check out all that open free space at the machine!
From this point I stitched the design as normal (using her I Love Pre-K design) but it was so much easier! At NO POINT did I have to manipulate the shirt to reveal a new part of my hoop, or watch out for the back hem of the shirt which might flop into my stitching area. Now, I couldn't walk away because I had lots of fabric to trim and several thread changes on my single needle :) BUT I was never paranoid and I could multitask!
When it was done, all I had left to do was sew up that open seam. I pinned it together matching all the seams:
I measured the existing serged seam on the other side of the shirt, it was a quarter-inch.
A serger would be helpful, but not required! I took the shirt to my machine and first sewed an exact quarter-inch seam (love that foot with a quarter-inch guide):
Then went back over the edges with an overlocking stitch (a simple zig zag would probably work, too). Final product looks pretty professional!
And here we go, a sweet little tee for a sweet little friend off to her first year of preschool!
What a colorful design, and gotta love those glitter sheets from Hobby Lobby!
I am instantly in love with this concept.
Yes, sewing up the seam is an added step. But the flexibility and reduced stitching stress is SO WORTH IT. I would have dreaded doing this applique (with 7 different elements to trim) the normal way I hoop a traditional tee. This was so much easier.

I cannot wait to give the one-piece a try. I'm going to use DS's Tool Belt. For that design to look best it really needs to stretch across the whole width of the one-piece, but that's hard to hoop! An open side seam is going to simplify the process so much!

Dreaming of 3-6 month sized one-pieces, so when I do my special delivery designs I don't have to do this anymore. Doesn't that raise your blood pressure a bit just looking at it?! I've done nearly 100 of them this way...
In summary...
DigiStitches has partnered with Monag and is putting open side seam shirts into production... more info soon!!! 
Remember, you saw it HERE first!

:)

4 comments on "Look what I got from DigiStitches!"

Mary on August 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM said...

Such a great idea! It's so nice not to babysit the machine every second. :)

jazzo on August 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM said...

Janay, You are the perfect person to test stitch. You are always paying forward and so helpful with all your hints, tips, selections...just the whole process. btw, love the glitter sheets and the shirt is gorgeous!

RaeAnna Goss on August 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM said...

Ok - I need to open a Monag account! SO AWESOME! :)

Unknown on September 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM said...

Janay, you did a fantastic job with this tutorial. It makes me want to get a business license just so I don't have to cut sideseams... thank you for showing us how easy this will be. Love your colors and sparkles on the shirt.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates