Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lion Pillows


Tonight VBS kicked off at our church, and I'm teaching the 3s and 4s class. As our craft to go along with the story of Daniel and the Lion's Den, we made these lion head pillows:

The idea/directions I was given involved felt and lots of glue or sewing, so I decided to tackle it from another direction. I kinda did my own thing and thought I'd share it here. No thread involved, so not technically "Stitched by Janay" but it is a fabric craft. :)

First I cut large circles out of two different colors of fleece (orange-yellow and tan). I used a template and rotary cutter which made it go so much faster. I used the largest option on this "Easy Circle Cut" so they were 10.5" circles.

Next I paired up one of each color fleece and fringed them. I made 24 cuts about 2.5" deep.

I put a little mark on my scissors so I was sure my cuts were long enough. The knots are difficult to tie if the fringe is too short.

I pre-tied most of the fringe, leaving four of them untied. I just did a single knot, simply for time reasons (ummmmm... I was doing this the night before...). The benefit is that the opposite color fringe appears around each side of the circle. But for longevity sake, it might be best to double knot them.

At this point, the kids got to make the face. Using Tacky Glue we added googly eyes and a felt nose. The mouth and whiskers were added with a Sharpie.

Then we stuffed them with polyfil and finished tying them off. They were a hit!

5 comments on "Lion Pillows"

Tracy on July 11, 2010 at 11:01 PM said...

I love it!!!

Jennifer on January 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM said...

I came across this project on Pinterest. I teach sewing to a homeschool co op and we will be doing this in our 4/5 class next month! Love it! Thank you!

Samaramom on January 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM said...

I also came across this project on Pinterest. I only had a little bit of orange and tan felt, so made these smaller and used as a bean bag toss into a "lion's den" game. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the easy way to make one.

Unknown on May 6, 2019 at 9:42 AM said...

This is adorable..will use it in our VBS this summer..thanks

JP on June 10, 2019 at 9:21 AM said...

I will also be using this craft in our vbs next week. Thank you for sharing!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates