First I found a football design I already owned and resized it in Embird to be the exact measurements of the football already on the Gymboree bodysuit. That helped me determine the size and placement of the font (and provide Nicole with a reasonable estimation of what it might look like). This is especially helpful if you are curving text around a preexisting design (like I did on Katelyn's birthday dress made by her grandmother).
Then I used my blue marking pen to mark the axes:
Hooped the bodysuit, lined up the center of the design with the center mark in the middle of the football, skipped over the football part of the embroidery design and simply stitched his name! Voila!
I used the College Block Small alphabet from 8 Claws and a Paw to add "Dawson". I am really enjoying this font!