Sunday, October 24, 2010

Matching Outfits for the Birthday Twins


Tori has wanted me to make her twins matching outfits for quite a while, and we finally decided to target their third birthday. Are they really three years old, already?!?  It doesn't seem that long ago when I attended Tori's baby shower and she got these gifts.
I used Martha Pullen's reversible patterns, modifying them somewhat. Noa is tall for her age, so I used a size three, but made it the same length as a size 4. Since we are headed into cooler months, I extended the shortall to a longall for Julian. I'll be honest, I just winged it (on a sample first) and I'm pretty impressed that it worked! :)
Side One: Plaid with three-letter monograms
This corduroy is courtesy of Sandy, who recently gave me tons of fabric left from her days of making clothes for her kids. I think it looks great for winter! I used the Circle Monogram Set 3 from Embroidery Arts.

Side two was a bit more challenging, but in the end I think it turned out fantastic! I had purchased some brown fabric with dots that I thought was cute.  But as I cut it out, I realized Tori's kids have slightly different skin tone than my kids and probably don't wear all brown. :)  So Tori and I met at JoAnns and looked around. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find a print that works for both a boy and a girl! We finally settled on a solid corduroy for Julian and an adorable print corduroy for Noa.
For the embroidery, I stitched an applique "3" using Chubby Wubby Applique Numbers from GG Designs, and stitched their names across it using the Whoa Nelly font from 8 Claws and a Paw.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whew, I'm glad these are done. And now that they are, I'm going to make a declaration:
I'm never making an A-line or JonJon again. :)
I have loved the outcome of every single one I have made, but the reality is I am not getting any faster at this. I wouldn't feel comfortable charging my friends what I need to in order to make it worth my time. So I'm sticking to embroidery on ready-to-wear items, and my new found love for reversible pillowcase dresses. Sorry boys, you are out of luck.

0 comments on "Matching Outfits for the Birthday Twins"

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates