Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Happy Birthday, Nathan!


This may look familiar, but I promise you haven't seen it on my blog before! Earlier in the year I made a birthday shirt for a Nathan who turned three, and I recently did another! While the first one was a cowboy theme, this little Nathan had a farm themed party. He is particularly fond of black and white cows, so I created this:
The "3" is from GG Designs' Chubby Wubby Numbers. The cow is from Designs by JuJu's Barnyard Buddies set, and I added his name with the Clay font from 8 Claws and a Paw.
For those of you who do custom embroidery (and my friends who just can't get enough of my wordiness, ha!) let me explain what I do when I create a look by overlapping designs. I like to do some design editing in my software beforehand. First of all I needed to modify the precious cow from DBJJ. This was for a boy, so the flowers had to go. For space reasons I decided to remove the appliqué grass patch as well.  Nathan loves black and white cows, so within Embird I changed the colors to give his mommy an accurate preview before stitching.
Once I merged that on top of the appliqué 3, I removed the unnecessary zigzag stitches on the 3 that would be under the cow. That's relatively easy and quick to do in Embird. However, I don't bother changing the placement and tack down stitches -- that's too much work!
Instead I did creative cutting in the hoop, since I knew the red fabric on the bottom would show through the white fabric on top. I ran the placement, tackdown, and modified zigzag stitches for the "3". Then I ran the placement stitch for the cow and removed my hoop from the machine.
I trimmed out the part of the 3 that would be under the cow:
Oops, I used red thread for my placement stitches, and it WILL show through my white fabric! So I picked those stitches out, too. Note to self -- use white thread for placement stitches next time. It's a little extra work, but worth the effort! That cow is a bright white without any discoloration!
Here's a case in point from two past projects -- Without trimming away overlapped fabric:
Trimming away the overlapped fabric:
See how much better the flower looks when the fabric underneath is trimmed away? Just a little detail that I like to keep in mind. I didn't notice the problem on the first shirt until it was done.  I'm always trying to improve my final product!


4 comments on "Happy Birthday, Nathan!"

Jenn on June 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM said...

Thank you again for creating yet another awesome shirt for our family!!! You can never stop doing this! Such a talent you have. :-)

daniKate designs on June 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM said...

Love it! That font is perfect. I really should get that Chubby Wubby Numbers set--you are such great advertisement :)
The first thought I had when I saw this shirt was that I liked it a lot and it reminded me of another shirt you did that I really liked. Then I read the post and saw that you had linked to the same shirt I was thinking of :)

Jacquie on June 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM said...

Love it!

Jacquie on June 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM said...

Okay. Just read your Post on An Appliqué a Day on Creative trimming on merged designs, Ingenious! That is so brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates