Saturday, December 8, 2007

Adding Monogram to Purchased Set


Ginny bought this cute bag and blanket set for her granddaughter, and asked me to monogram it. She didn't want the back of the embroidery to show on the reverse side, so I embroidered her name on an applique patch.




To be honest, I wasn't immediately sure how I was going to add the monogram and make it look nice. An idea hit me late one night as I was about to fall asleep, and it worked beautifully! Here's how I did it...
I took an oval applique design and removed the last step of satin stitches. I used the first placement stitch as my tack-down stitch for the fabric, which I centered in my hoop. Next I stitched Roberta's name in the center of the oval. Then I laid a piece of fusible interfacing (fusible side down) on top of the embroidery and used the second tack-down stitch to secure it. I removed it from the hoop, trimmed to a quarter inch, cut a slit in the interfacing and inverted the patch. What I had was a fabric oval with finished edges, and a back ready to iron down to the bag or blanket. I ironed it in place and then sewed it down -- I used a blanket stitch (by machine) on the blanket and hand stitched it on the bag.

0 comments on "Adding Monogram to Purchased Set"

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates