Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas, Amy!


As previously mentioned, my sister-in-law Amy has been making woven headbands this year. The amount that she has made and kept for herself has grown. In September a member of Sew Forum posted a hairbow holder she had made, and I decided to extend her idea to make a headband holder for Amy for Christmas.

Each ribbon has 12 slots to slip a headband through, so it can accommodate 48. I used 1.5" wide ribbon. I doubled the ribbon up and stitched across it every 2" to create little pockets to slip the headbands through. So for this particular holder I cut four pieces of ribbon about 52" long. Doubled it up and sewed 12 seams every 2". That created 48 pockets for headbands.
For the top, I cut a piece of foam board 8"x24" and glued batting over it. I cut my fabric 10"x26" and did the embroidery. I added the text with Embird Alphabet #17. My only regret is that I wish I had used the dark purple thread for "headbands" too. Oh well... I didn't have enough time last night to start over. The applique flower was a freebie on Sew Forum and stitched beautifully.

Once that was done, I glued the fabric down to the back of the foam board. Then I attached the ribbons at the 3", 9", 15" and 21" marks. For the top hangers I attached loops of ribbons at the 6" and 18" marks. Then I covered another piece of cardboard with fabric and glued it over the back to cover all the mess. I used Tacky Glue, and only time will tell if it will hold up...
We also bought her a curtain rod/quilt holder for her to hang it from. The headbands overlap, so it doesn't hang flat. It really needs to be away from the wall to accommodate for that.
Amy is hard to buy for, so I was really excited when I thought of this idea. She liked it, so it was a successful Christmas gift!

2 comments on "Merry Christmas, Amy!"

Cori on December 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM said...

Oh wow, you are SO creative! It looks great!
My little baldy baby doesn't have enough hair for hairbows, so I've been trying to think of a way to store her headbands. I'm trying to figure out a way to adapt your idea for her hair accessories. :)

Nadia (WithGlitteringEyes.blogspot.com) on March 13, 2016 at 3:04 PM said...

This is so cute! You have to go back to blogging! Really!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates