Thursday, June 16, 2011

What's in a brand?


It doesn't take a marketing expert to know how important a brand is for companies that sell products or provide services. However, just because I know it's important doesn't mean I have what it takes to create one! I'll leave that to the pros.

But I'd like to take a moment to weigh in on branding from an embroiderer's perspective. The marketing team at Onyx Creative Consulting Studio did an awesome job creating their own brand. First, even though the company title is long, their brand is only FOUR letters. They selected a nice bold font. It's not boring, but is free of serifs and curls, it uses very clean lines. Their icon is a simple dot. It has personality since it's not a perfect circle, but it's simple. The design is a grand total of TWO colors. No outlines, shadows, gradients, crazy color palette...
Ahhhhh... it's a recipe for an excellent embroidery design!!

I spent all of my sewing last weekend adding the brand to shirts and jacket for the girls at Onyx. Each item also has the dot on the back below the collar line (like on these shirts).

So if anyone reading this is in the process of creating a new brand for your own company -- before finalizing your design, ask yourself, "Will I ever want this embroidered on something??" If the answer is yes, my advice (for what it's worth) is go simple. :)

2 comments on "What's in a brand?"

Sarah M on June 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM said...

I like your suggestion to ask yourself, "Will I ever want this embroidered on something?" Good call!

Melissa on June 16, 2011 at 1:05 PM said...

You are awesome, Janay! Fantastic job and great thoughts!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates