Monday, September 26, 2011

Me and My Doll aprons


Ever since Annaliese got an American Girl doll, she has asked for the "Me and My Doll" kits whenever we see them at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. I've always told her no because frankly I haven't been thrilled with the colors/patterns I've seen on these printed panel kits for matching bags or doll dresses. But a couple weeks ago when I discovered that one of our Walmart locations is getting a fabric cutting counter back (YES!) they had the "Me and My Doll" items on clearance. I dug through and found one that looked decent... matching aprons. This weekend Annaliese and I worked on them together:
The kit was simply a fabric panel:

 I cut out the pieces for Annaliese's apron, and she cut out the pieces for the doll apron -- and did a great job! After that, she just hung out of my bed playing while I sewed. :)
The fabric is very thin, and the directions called for serging edges, folding under 3/8" and top stitching. I was not thrilled with that idea, so I dug through my fabric stash and found something to line the entire apron. I'll be honest, I'm pretty proud of myself. :)  I have very limited garment construction experience, and I definitely prefer to follow directions, so "winging it" isn't something I do often. I'm glad I had a tiny version to practice on first! The doll apron turned out well, so I was safe to proceed onto Annaliese's, and her's turned out to be completely reversible (although the other side is boring and I doubt she'll wear it that way).
This may shock you, but there is no embroidery on these... And I don't know if I'll monogram them. Probably not unless she asks me to.
Annaliese really likes her apron, and as soon as we were done she wanted to go to the kitchen to make something. Thankfully I had a package of pudding that was sufficient. :)

2 comments on "Me and My Doll aprons"

Cole's Corner on September 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM said...

Cute. Cute. Cute. Cute. Cute.

They look great and I can see how happy she is!!!

Mary on September 30, 2011 at 1:08 AM said...

What a fun project for you two!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates