Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Can you stand another turquoise owl?!


Last week was teacher appreciation week at my daughter's school. In addition to a gift for her teacher, I also wanted to donate something to the Assistant Principal's stash of door prizes that she gave away throughout the week to teachers. I've known about this... well since last year. But unfortunately personal projects with far off deadlines tend to get bumped to the bottom of my to do list until the last possible moment. Thankfully Sheila saved the day! I had a morning to myself to sew and was cranking through projects as fast as possible. I knew I wanted to put an owl on an apron for this donated gift, but WHICH OWL?? Before I had a chance to decide, Sheila asked if anyone was available to test this cute owl, so I hopped on the opportunity to help her and get my project done at the same time!
Isn't the owl cute? Hop on over to her etsy page and grab the Savvy Stitches' Kookie owl while it's on sale, only a few are left at that price. :) This is the 6x10 size, and was a great opportunity to use this large scale turquoise gingham that I added to my stash last summer.
Now, in all honesty my plan was to slap the owl up on the bib part of the apron and be done. But as I was pressing the apron I noticed some marks down on the bottom. Phooey, no time to apply stain remover and wash, no time to go buy a new apron. That required a new plan! Put the large owl down at the bottom to cover the marks, and offer free monogramming to the teacher who won the apron. I like it even better this way! I used Golden from 8 Claws and a Paw. It's the right mix of pretty and whimsy to go with the kookie owl.
The teacher who won was super excited -- she had seen the apron hanging in the media center and hoped her name would be pulled. Later she told me, "I’m not exaggerating when I say all of the teachers were hoping to win it!" :)

1 comments on "Can you stand another turquoise owl?!"

jazzo on May 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM said...

Janay...You are an enabler, just had to buy this from Sheila! Thanks for sharing the link to her site, cute stuff! I believe all the teachers wanted to win the apron. So stinkin adorable!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates