Friday, March 8, 2013

Taste and See


Our congregation is hosting a Ladies Retreat this weekend and I was asked to donate a door prize. The theme is Keeping it Simple and Sweet, they are decorating with cupcakes... so I immediately thought of this design and decided to make a Stay-Put towel!
The Cupcake Psalm design is from the Itch 2 Stitch.
My Stay Put towel is loosely inspired by the Topsy Towel tutorial posted on Embroidery Library. In this case I did not applique a square of fabric, nor did I square up the towel. There is a free V-shaped buttonhole design posted on Sew Forum that goes with this tutorial. If you are not a member of SF, it is free to join.

Edited to add:
Kimberly asked to see this in the hoop. Obviously it's too late to take that picture :) I'll do that on the next towel. But here's a screen shot of my embroidery design file. I hoop sticky stabilizer, run a placement stitch line at the bottom, place my towel on the hoop using the line as my guide, float a piece of tearaway on the bottom, return to machine to stitch the V-shaped hole and design! My secret for perfect design placement :)

7 comments on "Taste and See"

Kimberly on March 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM said...

I love this little towel! What an adorable saying for a kitchen towel!
I would LOVE to see a pic of this on the hoop. You have obviously got this towel thing down to a science - that applique is *very* close to the edge! (impressive) Though practice makes it better, I'm still not confident that a design is going to stitch exactly where I put it! lol Thanks for sharing!

Janay on March 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM said...

Kimberly, obviously it's too late to take a picture of this on the hoop, but I'll do that next time I make a stay-put towel. I did just add to this blog post a screen grab of my embroidery design file so you can see my secret to placing it perfectly :)

Dori Voss on March 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM said...

Janay..I am having a hard time finding the buttonhole pattern..Can you be more specific or post a link for me? Thanks
Dori

Janay on March 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM said...

Dori, if you click the words "free V-shaped buttonhole design posted on Sew Forum" in the blog post it will take you right to the thread that has the designs. You must be a member of SF and logged in to see it.

Teresa Mitchell on March 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM said...

I love this. Where can I find the cute cupcake and wording? Do you have the design for sale?

Janay on March 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM said...

Teresa, if you click the words "The Cupcake Psalm design is from the Itch 2 Stitch." in the blog post it will take you right to the design.

Tina on February 6, 2015 at 8:08 PM said...

Hi Janay, what is the distance from the bottom v point of the buttonhole to the bottom v point of your placement stitch please, thanks, Tina.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates