Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A quick key fob (and how I save stabilizer)


Yesterday late afternoon Annaliese exclaimed, "Oh Mom! My teacher's birthday is tomorrow!" I guess she had known for a few days but just at that moment remembered to tell me. At least it was better than last year when she said, "my teacher's birthday was today." So we are making progress... maybe next year I'll get even more notice!

I love DigiStitches Quilted Key Fobs! Such a fun, practical and quick gift. And check out this adorable fabric my MIL found for me -- the owls are so tiny!! Just perfect for a Springwood teacher.
 I shared in December how I like to mass produce key fobs -- it goes quickly and really reduces waste.  But what about when you only need to make one? To avoid wasting a whole piece of stabilizer cut to fit my 6x10 hoop, I do the following.
Cut a long piece of stabilizer and place hoop at left end.
Instead of stitching the key fob in the center of the center of the hoop, I positioned it as far left as possible. Note the excess stabilizer is rolled up on the right hand side.
The mark on the excess stabilizer shows where I would have cut the stabilizer for a traditional hooping:
I use my rotary cutter to precisely trim a 1/4" seam allowance.
Look how much stabilizer I saved by using this technique -- over 6 inches!!
That 6" strip would be in my trash can if I had cut a piece to fit and stitched the key fob in the center. But instead that 6 inches is still connected to a large piece of stabilizer, ready to use on my next project. It may not seem that significant, but it can add up fast! :)

7 comments on "A quick key fob (and how I save stabilizer)"

jazzo on September 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM said...

Janay, Love your key fob and the fabric. Thanks for always sharing your tips.

IngridElizabeth on September 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM said...

Great tip, thank you Janay!

stitcher on September 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM said...

Cute fob! Great tip! I do that, too!

Cheryle on September 20, 2012 at 6:37 AM said...

Cute key fob and tips! Always love ways to save on supplies.

Tiffany on December 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM said...

That's adorable fabric!!!

Gail Kantz on November 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM said...

Do you have a tutorial on making the key fob? This is a great tip on the stabilizer. Thank you!!

Janay on November 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM said...

Gail,
I do not have a tutorial for actually making the key fob. When you buy the design from DigiStitches, it comes with a very thorough how-to pdf!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates