Monday, September 10, 2012

First Birthday, celebrating hippo style!


Hollie asked me to make a shirt/bib set for her daughter to wear on her first birthday. Her initial email was filled with ideas -- Hollie had done tons of searching herself before contacting me. She sent links to several designs or completed shirts that she liked, but none of them were exactly what she envisioned. I did a bit more sleuthing, and discovered one thing for sure -- there aren't a lot of cute hippo designs out there! At least not full body hippos that were positioned the right direction. After some design editing and merging, here's what I came up with:
to coordinate with this Sweet Safari party decor set:
The hippo applique design is actually this Behemoth design I found on etsy. I knew nothing about the seller nor the quality of the designs, but told Hollie I was willing to give it a try. I did so much design manipulation that I can't honestly give an opinion on the original digitizing, but the seller was very prompt in communication!
I removed several elements from the behemoth, added an applique hat and little embroidered bows that I plucked off of some LP designs in my stash, as well as this free balloon design. I think it turned out pretty cute! It certainly was a fun challenge!

5 comments on "First Birthday, celebrating hippo style!"

Mary on September 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM said...

That is seriously cute! I just made a hippo birthday shirt and have to say your version is so much cuter. :)
I have purchased from that seller and have been pleased with it. It is a simple design, but stitched out nicely!

LT on September 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM said...

Your talent continues to amaze me, Janay!!

Tiffany on September 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM said...

WOW! Fantastic job!

jazzo on September 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM said...

Janay, You got serious skills! This shirt turned out super cute. I love everything you do. Because you do it all so well!

Sabrina on October 20, 2012 at 9:42 AM said...

It's so unique! I really like that!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates