Monday, August 27, 2012

Sock Monkeys!!!


This is a project I have been dying to do for a LONG time. Designs by JuJu has released several sets of Sock Monkey designs (both applique and filled) that I have been collecting along the way. Honestly, I'm not even that big of a fan of the traditional sock monkey, but all of her artwork is PRECIOUS! Right before school started last year, DBJJ released a filled set of of back to school sock monkeys, but I've been holding out for the applique version, which she released this summer! I didn't make my goal of getting these shirts made before school started, but Annaliese and Dashiell were able to kick off the second week of school in style today!
Aren't these adorable?!? I had so much fun watching them stitchout last night. And the cool thing is that my kids still WANT to wear matching shirts, so they were both thrilled to get dressed this morning. Hey, as long as my kids want to match, I'll be making matching things. It's already lasted longer than I expected!
 Annaliese helped me decide which designs to use and our fabric selection. She picked the girl holding the apple with the A+ on it -- those that know her know this is pretty appropriate ;)
So to match as best as possible Dashiell got the boy with the apple and worm:

Quick commentary on the shirts:

The pale yellow shirt for Annaliese is a LAT brand that I ordered from Rock Bottom Tees (I think) and has been sitting in my stash. After prewashing it shrunk in length, so hopefully she can wear it throughout the year, but she's so tall that it won't last forever. It is a large girls shirt.

It's August in Florida so you know what that means, long sleeve shirts are in stock. UGH. I had to go to Hobby Lobby to get a short sleeved. Sometime recently they have changed brands, and their youth XS is no longer labeled 2-4. This shirt is huge on Dashiell. He should be able to wear it for a few years, or until he ruins it. ;)  This shirt was prewashed as well. Notice anything???
A large girls shirt for my 8 year old and an XS youth shirt for my 3 year old. The exact same size. Sigh... If I knew anything about garment construction I would try to make that shirt for Dashiell smaller. Oh well. I guess boys can get away with oversized clothing.

4 comments on "Sock Monkeys!!!"

jazzo on August 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM said...

Janay....Lucky you! Your kiddos are adorable and I love their matching sock monkey shirts! Your fabric selection is perfect. Annaliese is following in your footsteps. A+

Kimberly on August 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM said...

Janay, I had to resize a shirt for my son (12) this summer and it wasn't too bad. He helped out a VBS and the only shirts they had left were adult L. (and adult Small still swallows him) Of course, his shirt was meant to last the week and however long after he wants to wear it, so I was trying to make it look smaller and somewhat normal - not "professional"! I cut several inches off the botton and hemmed it and then measured to another t-shirt that already fit him to get the sleeve length and shirt width. I just stitched a smaller silhouette/outline from the sleeve to the bottom of the shirt (as you would do a peasant dress/top) The only part that was more noticeable was the neckline - and I didn't dare touch that! You'll have to try it and see what happens - with a coupon to HL, even if you goof, you're not out of pocket very much $. Good luck.
the monkeys are adorable - and how wonderful that your children still request custom matching shirts! I did get to make the 3rd grade rocks shirt like your A's, but the younger daughter (7) wouldn't even let me monogram her backpack! (gasp!) :)

Janay on August 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM said...

Kimberly, thanks for the tips! I've made a long sleeved American girl shirt out of a short sleeved onesie by doing something similar. I didn't consider buying another HL shirt to practice on first -- DUH. I might give it a whirl. The more I looked at D wearing it today, the more it irritated me how large it was. The neckline is big, but you are right, I'm not messing with that at all!

Tiffany on September 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM said...

I love the fabric you used for the applique! And how sweet is it that they still want to match? I love your kids!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates