Friday, January 21, 2011

Labrador Rag Quilt


My in-laws have owned seven Labradors over the course of 20+ years, so when I spotted a certain flannel in the JoAnns Black Friday ad, I knew right away I had to make my MIL a rag quilt for Christmas. On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I stopped by my local JoAnns to make sure they had it in stock (they did!) and then came home to plot out a quilt and figure out how much I needed to buy. On Black Friday I was at JoAnns by 6:20am and headed straight to the flannel. On my way there I saw the bolt I needed in someone's cutting stack! EEK! I asked if she was buying all of it, thankfully she wasn't. I bought the rest of the bolt and it was JUST ENOUGH. No room for errors on this project!

Even though I had lofty goals to make two rag quilts between Thanksgiving and Christmas, due to circumstances out of my control I wasn't able to finish Kathy's quilt until this week. But I'm pretty sure she has found it worth the wait. :)  Here it is!!
I used my AccuQuilt GO! and rag die to cut all the fringed blocks first. Can't say it enough -- I LOVE not having to snip the quilt at the end!! I was very pleased with how the quilting turned out on my Sudoku Rag Quilt, so I asked Julie of 8 Claws and a Paw Embroidery if she would be willing to digitize a bone for me in the same style as her applique tackdown stitches. I sent her an image of the fabric and she sent back a design very quickly! THANK YOU! It worked perfectly! I chose a light teal thread like the bones on the flannel.
That took care of half of the blocks. The other half were marble/solid flannels to represent the yellow, chocolate and black labs. I used Embird Alphabet #22 (a redwork alphabet) to embroider the names of all the Labradors the Trammels have owned. I was relieved I had a teal thread the exact same color as the dog print, and that it provided a good contrast on both the light and dark blocks! (These pictures were taken before the first machine washing, so the true ragging effect hasn't taken place.)
Their black labs: Lady, Hope and Neo


Their yellow labs: Tig and Jed

Their chocolate labs: Quinn and Forrest


Once I got it all pieced, I shook it, washed it, shook it, dried it, and shook it again! Annaliese said, "it looks like a fluff monster was destroyed on the driveway!" :) Here's the whole quilt:
And a close-up shot:

5 comments on "Labrador Rag Quilt"

Cole's Corner on January 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM said...

How cute!!!!
I bought that fabric for my Aunt who has 4 labs- all different colors.

Kathy T on January 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM said...

I LOVE it! Thank you sooo much!

Harold Trammel on January 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM said...

It is fabulous. It was not my gift but I love it also.

Mary on January 22, 2011 at 7:26 AM said...

What a fabulous and thoughtful quilt! I love the way you used the bones and the dogs' names.

Tiffany on April 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM said...

I love what you did with the names of the Labs! That is too rad.

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates