Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year's Resolution


One of my New Year's resolutions is to make sure there is a watermark on all of my images. :(

While perusing facebook pages and profiles of fellow embroiderers I found a couple of my images on someone else's wall. No credit given, no statement like, "Isn't this cute? I could recreate it if you like." Just my pictures. Pictures of two very special shirts for my daughter that I spent HOURS searching for the perfect designs and then adding custom text to. I'll be honest, I felt like I had been punched in the gut.

Now, I'm not speaking against those embroiderers who have albums of images of designs they have purchased. They are using images that come straight from the digitizer's website to show their customers what they have available. That's perfectly fine (assuming the digitizer has given you permission to use their images). I own thousands of designs that I haven't stitched out yet. Someday I may do the same thing, I just haven't taken the time.

HOWEVER, when you take my images of my work and mix them in with yours, it's as if you are claiming it as your own work. That's not right. It's not fair to your customers and it certainly isn't fair to me.

Obviously I don't care if you use my blog for inspiration. I blog in painstaking detail giving credit to digitizers for every project I stitch. I supply direct links to the sites so you can purchase the designs yourself. I don't claim to be all that creative on my own -- I LOVE the online sewing community and all the inspiration I get from blogs, Sew Forum, facebook pages, etc. Please feel free to reuse my ideas! But please, please do not use my images without my permission. The bottom line is these are photographs I have taken with my camera. They are not yours, they are mine. Thank you for respecting that.

Now here are a couple of things I don't mind stumbling across. Actually it's pretty exciting. :)
http://tipnut.com/free-casserole-tote-tutorial/
http://www.wisebread.com/bang-up-ideas-for-bandanas
Did you see Susie's casserole carrier and Annaliese twirling around in a bandana dress? More importantly, did you see the links back to my blog?? There you go, that's how this wonderful sewing community is supposed to work!!

9 comments on "New Year's Resolution"

Cindy's Custom Creations on January 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM said...

Ugh. That makes me mad for you! I need to learn how to watermark my photos too. I have to tell you something funny about you giving digitizers credit: it's because of you that I finally purchased the "Special Delivery" design! I have a feeling it's going to be very popular with my customers!

Daisha on January 8, 2011 at 3:46 PM said...

I think it's about time you start marking your work. :) As you get more of an on-line presence, you'll have more people stealing from you.

Go, Girl!

Unknown on January 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM said...

I buy designs from the internet, usually some of your favorits. Then when I make something from it. I post a picture to show my friends what I have done. Is that wrong? Should I post where I got it from? I'm not too savvy about the link stuff.

Janay on January 8, 2011 at 9:45 PM said...

Cindy, it will be very popular, I'm sure! Everyone that sees just ohhs and ahhs. I'm going to stitch my 61st Special Delivery design this weekend!

Daisha, I've been dragging my feet on this for a while. When I started this blog, my audience was simply our parents. :)
All images from here on out will have a watermark... experimenting for a while to figure out what I want to do. But what do I do about the nearly 2000 pictures already uploaded?!?

Christine, you are not required to link back to the designs you have purchased! I simply do it as a courtesy to the digitizers and to help fellow embroiderers quickly find something they might like. I'm answering the "where is that design from??" question before it's even asked. And frankly, I've used the info myself when trying to remember what I've done in the past. :)
The key is that you are posting pictures to show your friends what YOU have made!! :)

Mary on January 9, 2011 at 1:42 AM said...

I had that happen to me a few times on Etsy. One of the other sellers actually used my image WITH my watermark on it. The nerve of some people!

It's definitely worth the extra time and effort to put them on there and protect your work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janay,

I'm definitely glad you are watermarking your pictures now. Your work is incredible! I'm sorry someone stole your pictures and used them as their own. That is just wrong. I watermark my pictures as well, but I like the type of watermark you are using on your pictures. What program do you use to make that kind of watermark? Thanks, Lynnell

Janay on January 10, 2011 at 9:36 AM said...

Thanks Lynnell for the feedback already! I'm still trying to decide if I like it. I want something subtle that doesn't cover the detail of the embroidery, but clearly marks where the image is from and can't be cropped off.

I installed one of my husband's old versions of Photoshop on my laptop and he gave me a quick tutorial. Basically he created the file with text that runs on the diagonal, and then I just merge that layer on top of my image and change the color/opacity depending on the image.

Judie on January 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM said...

People suck!! I love your blog and you have taught me so much about embroidering!

jazzo on January 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM said...

Janay, I am so sorry this happened to you. I love that you are watermarking you photos. You are my biggest inspiration. Your creativeness always makes me smile. Keep up the great work...I love your stuff!!!!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates