Monday, August 15, 2011

Monogramming for School


I'm hesitant to show these off because as a rule, I don't monogram back packs and lunch boxes. Generally they are virtually impossible to do on my single-needle machine. But for good friends I'll entertain the idea -- if the item is relatively easy to hoop and not too thick. I don't commit to anything until I personally inspect each item. :)
Nicole found this cute set at a Children's Place Outlet store. I figured I could monogram the back pack and pencil pouch, but immediately said no to the lunch box -- it is very well insulated and I didn't think my machine would handle it well -- not worth the risk. Then I realized I could take it along with me to IL and monogram it on my MIL's 6-needle machine!
 Presley wanted her three-letter monogram on the back pack and pencil case, and name on her lunch box. I used Tinker Toy from 8 Claws and a Paw for both.

I thought I'd share a couple pictures of how I hooped the pencil pouch. Inside out on sticky stabilizer:
Here's a close-up. See how close that zipper is to the needle if I'm not holding it back? This is why you have to hold your breath the whole time!
 (If you are wondering about hooping a back pack, you can see my "tutorial" here.)

I also did a couple of lunch totes for Valerie. She grabbed these on clearance last year. I can't remember the name of material they are made out of, but it's a lot like a can koozie. Not too thick to stitch through and very flexible, so I said yes. :)
I used Swirley from 8 Claws and a Paw for their names.

Here's a pic of embroidery in progress. Sticky stabilizer makes it possible, but again, holding my breath! Can't really tell if it's centered and straight until it's done. Eep!
Ok, I think that does it for school bag monogramming this year. Thankfully Annaliese's backpack from kindergarten still looks fantastic even after 2 years of daily use, so we aren't shopping! YAY!

8 comments on "Monogramming for School"

Jacquie on August 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM said...

Janay, they look great. I just did some and you're right, I hold my breath the whole time. How does the sticky stabilizer come off afterward? Does it leave any sticky residue? I spray the stabilizer but think the sticky stuff would hold it better.

SarahD on August 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM said...

I did a pencil pouch for Miss J last year -- yes, nerve-wrecking would be an accurate description. I didn't have sticky stablizer but I used plenty of pins! :o)

Janay on August 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM said...

Jacquie, the sticky stabilizer I used came off neatly without residue. I suppose it depends on the brand, so I can't guarantee anything. :)

Charleen on August 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM said...

They are fantastic! I haven't tried a backpack yet but I think I'll be able to do it with your tutorial. Thanks!

I'd love for you to explain how you hoop a onesie. They really have my stymied :-)

Janay on August 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM said...

Charleen, first of all, thank you for teaching me a new word. :)
I'll try to do a onesie tutorial this fall. I do them inside out and upside down. Very unique I'm sure. :)

Mary on August 15, 2011 at 5:18 PM said...

I did one of the flat pencil pouches for Claire this year and it was a PAIN! One side of it was a very stiff vinyl so it was very difficult to hold out of the way. I managed to do it, but it's a little crooked because it shifted even with the sticky stabilizer. I don't plan on doing any more of those soon!

Jacquie on August 15, 2011 at 5:42 PM said...

I did about a dozen Pottery Barn cosmetic bags for a friend ONCE. That was before I learned to say no, can't do it. They were so stiff and hard to maneuver. I was never so glad to be done with a project.

Does your MIL's machine make it easier? How is that?

Janay on August 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM said...

Jacquie, I've had projects like that! As you stitch you wonder, was this worth it?!?!
I'm getting better about saying no to hard to hoop items. Early on I was afraid of losing business. Now I'm more concerned about my machine! Last fall I broke a needle on a backpack that was too thick. Thankfully it didn't do any machine damage, but I have had a broken needle that caused a trip to the repair shop. So if anything gives me concern about wear and tear on the machine, I say no.

The 6-needle machines are powerhorses! They can embroider on Carhartt jackets! So that's why I used her machine for the thick lunchbox. It's more industrial strength. :)
My MIL hasn't purchase fast frames yet, or else I would have embroidered all the items on her machine because it makes pocket type projects a lot easier to do. Since I would have had to use the same sticky stabilizer/inside out hooping technique on her machine, I decided to stick with my machine that I'm comfortable with. :)

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates