Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ready for Kindergarten


Maddy is ready for her first day of kindergarten! Her elementary school's mascot is a bee, and school colors are blue and yellow. This is the first shirt her mom requested:
I used Lynnie Pinnie's Bumble Bee applique design, and added "Maddy is a Busy Bee" with Swirley from 8 Claws and a Paw. Love that font!
The second is a Kindergarten Rocks shirt. I used bee fabric and blue thread so that it's full of school spirit!
The original "Kindergarten ROCKS" design is from Embroidery Boutique. I used the stars and the word Kindergarten, but swapped out the applique word for the zig zag version of EB's Cade Applique Alphabet (with EB's blessing).
 I thought I'd take a moment to give you a little extra insight into my creation process. Often when I'm using a fabric with a motif I want to be sure certain elements are visible withing the applique area. In the case of this bee fabric if I simply laid it down, it's quite possible that no bees would be visible (Like the "K" above). To avoid that I bring the fabric to my computer and lay it over the screen with the design image in the background. I slide it around and rotate it until I find the perfect position for the fabric, then use my water-soluble pen to mark how the fabric should align with the placement stitches. My goal was to get a bee in the wide parts of the R, O and C. I achieved that goal, and it's very close to my preview image!
I used that technique here to get a good color assortment of stars in the 2, here to get a full wand and shoe within the 3, here to be sure the orange dots were not beneath the orange name, here to minimize the number of stems showing, here to get the angle right and put the hot pink stripes in the middle, here to be sure the orange stripe was not under the monogram... etc. You can really use fabric effectively if you take some extra time to place it *just* right. :)

5 comments on "Ready for Kindergarten"

Jacquie on August 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM said...

Thank you for sharing this tip. I have a project coming up that I needed to do just this and was wondering how to do it. Thanks so much for passing on your knowledge and helpful tips.

Janay on August 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM said...

You are welcome! It doesn't always work. If the fabric is dark or thick (like flannel) then the light from the screen won't shine through enough to make it work. In that case I print a template of the design and cut out the applique shape. This is very tedious, so I don't do it often. :) I have cut out my favorite "1" for first birthday shirts on cardstock and keep that handy.

Mary on August 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM said...

That's a great tip!

Erica on July 18, 2012 at 4:27 AM said...

I love the bee shirt! I am a K teacher with a bee themed room. Do you sell these creations somewhere?

Erica
Sprinkles to Kindergarten
erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

Janay on July 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM said...

Erica, at this moment I'm not accepting custom orders, but I'm sending you an email with a referral. :)

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates