Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Chair Packs for Preschool


Miss Susie had chair packs in her classroom that, hmmmmm, let's just say they had seen better days. :) She asked if I could make her a new set. I took one of her old ones as a pattern and recreated it.
The chair pack is designed to hang over the back of a small chair and have a pocket to be filled with snack mat, journals, crayons, glue... whatever supplies each child has to use at the table.



In the past Susie just had blue and red chair packs, so she had a "red table" and a "blue table". However, since each child is assigned a color for the year, we decided this time to make one of each color so it was obvious where each child was supposed to sit. Need to rearrange the seating assignments? Just switch chair packs!

Sunday night before church Susie gave Annaliese and me a sneak peek at her new classroom. Very colorful, bright and cheerful!

8 comments on "Chair Packs for Preschool"

Cole's Corner on August 4, 2009 at 11:44 PM said...

Oh... they're so cute. Love the different colors. I'm glad my Ella isn't in that class though... she'd whine everyday if she didn't get PINK. lol.

Vanessa on August 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM said...

Do you mind if I ask how much these cost you to make? I am a new kindergarten teacher and have been searching the internet to find some reasonably priced chair pockets.

Janay on August 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM said...

Hi Vanessa!
I spent $20 to make these 10 chair packs. I purchased "bottom weight" material (I think it's stuff to make pants, sold at JoAnns near the denim). I was going to use duck cloth, but it's dry clean only, we decided that was not a good option. :)
I had quite a bit of extra material left over since I was only making one of each color. You can probably make them for less than $2 each if you are using fewer colors.
Sewing them together wasn't hard, just takes time. I made these as a gift for my daughter's beloved preschool teacher. :)
Hope that helps!

Terre on March 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM said...

Janay, I was wondering if you would tell me how far down the front sides of your chair packs are or need to be so they do not slip off, as the heavier the items in the pocket are the easier they will be to slip off is my thinking. and how durable did the "bottom weight" vs. denim fabric do for yours? Yours turned out great!

Janay on March 24, 2011 at 1:28 PM said...

Hi Terre!
I will be up at the preschool on Tuesday and can take measurements. (When I made them I just recreated a chair pack Ms. Susie already had and didn't make a pattern.) I'll also ask her about durability. They still look good from a distance as I walk by her room. :)
If I don't get back to you by the end of next week, send me a reminder email: stitchedbyjanay@gmail.com

Janay on March 29, 2011 at 8:05 PM said...

Terre, here are the finished measurements:
14.5" across
top pocket to fit over chair is 6" deep
bottom pocket to hold stuff is 10" deep

Susie said she's never had a problem with them slipping off, and they have held up really well. Denim would be great, we just wanted color. :)

Rachel R. on August 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM said...

Duck is dry clean only? How strange!

These are so great. We might have to make a couple of these for home use. (We homeschool, and the girls have a hard time keeping all of their things handy but not falling onto the floor.)

Janay on September 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM said...

Rachel, I have since discovered that some duck cloth is machine washable. But the bolt I grabbed when price checking was not. Check labels!

Labels

 

Statcounter

Followers

My Blog List

Stitched By Janay Original Template Copyright 2008, based on Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates